I hope you are having a great year so far! In just a few days, half of 2019 will be in the past. Are you where you want to be after the first half of 2019? If you are on track – Congratulations! If not, there’s still plenty of time to turn things around. It’s a great time to take a step back and assess how the year is progressing for you and your business.
Please take a minute to think about the following areas of your business and rate your business on a scale of 1 to 4. Think about a ‘1’ as the best and a ‘4’ is an area which needs a lot of work.
- Cash Flow
- Team Accountability
- Marketing/Social Media
- Assignments are spread out over many referral sources
- Owner is working “On” the business rather than “In” the business
- You’re enjoying your lifestyle (work/personal balance)
If you could improve just one area of the business, which would you choose?
These areas can all be influenced through planning. Which category are you in when it comes to planning?
- Planning is critical to our success – the plan is created and reviewed throughout the year and milestones along the way are tracked. The team is engaged in the plan (they helped create it) and they meet on a regular schedule to discuss their progress and adjust along the way.
- Planning is something we do; however, we tend to lose focus in moving the plan forward throughout the year. Team accountability could be better.
- Planning is something we do and then, nothing happens with the plan.
- Planning is not part of what we do in our business.
Planning is so powerful! Personally, and professionally, I know that I’ve achieved more because of my dedication to the planning process and structure to hold each other accountable. It’s a lot of fun to go through the planning process and throughout the year, watch your plan turn into a reality. It’s also a great way to engage with your team on a deeper level.
Back in 2007, I remember sitting at a Starbucks by myself – working on my business plan for 2008 – alone. I remember stopping and feeling disappointed that my team just wasn’t interested in the direction of the business. It was a “light-bulb moment” and I don’t use that term lightly. It struck me that my team wasn’t interested in the goals of the business because they had absolutely nothing to do with the creation of the plan. Things changed the next week. I started to get my production managers and marketing reps involved in the planning process and my work life become much more fun. Aside from the fun, the business really started to get traction.
Planning, setting goals, creating action steps to take the company from point A to point B is not without its challenges, but I can tell you there’s no doubt, businesses have a much better chance of growing, becoming more profitable and working more smoothly when there is intentional planning done by the team.
I help teams by facilitating strategic planning and all the related elements that help companies stick to their plans. If you haven’t done this type of work in your business and don’t even know where to start, let’s have a conversation – I can help. If you’re at the other end of the spectrum, bringing in a professional to facilitate your next planning session can have many benefits. I have some great tools and strategies to help with planning.
Let’s have a conversation – I can help. Click to Schedule a call with me https://calendly.com/scottmillergrowthleague.
Scott Miller Book Time With Me Here
T | 610-263-2772